Hand and wrist pain are an unfortunate occurrence in many people’s lives here in America. If you suffer from mild or moderate symptoms of carpal tunnel syndrome, then you may receive some benefit from a few simple exercises that you can do on your own. However, it’s important to keep in mind that medical studies tend to be mixed regarding exactly how much this can help with hand and wrist pain. You will end up getting the best results if you do these exercises along with other types of treatments, such as using a brace and tweaking your activities and posture so that they put less strain on your hand and wrist. Read on to learn more about various exercises from orthopedic surgeon Celebration Orthopaedic & Sports Medicine Institute for your hand and wrist in order to relieve pain and promote health. If you’re looking for an orthopedic hand specialist in the Celebration area, call Celebration Orthopaedic & Sports Medicine Institute today!
Hand Exercises for Carpal Tunnel
When you are completing hand exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome, it’s important to keep in mind that this isn’t like going to the gym to lose weight. Make sure and cast aside the whole “No pain, no gain” idea. If it hurts, then you should take a break. After all, if you push it, then you can make your symptoms a lot worse. One more tip that you should keep in mind is that you should start slow and easy and then see how everything goes. If you’re not certain whether or not an exercise is right for you, then check with your doctor first.
- Shake It Out: This exercise is extremely simple, and can be especially useful at night, when your symptoms can be worse. If you wake up with pain or numbness, all you need to do is to shake your hands out to get some relief.
- Fist To Stop Sign:
- Make a fist
- Slide your fingers up until they point toward the ceiling, like you’re telling someone to stop
- Repeat 5-10 times
- Fist to Fan
- Make a fist
- Fan your fingers out — stretch them as far you are able to
- Repeat 5-10 times
Advice From An Orthopedic Hand Specialist
Here are some more exercises for hand and wrist pain from orthopedic surgeon clinic Celebration Orthopaedic.
- Thumb Touches
- One at a time, touch each fingertip to the tip of your thumb so that they form the shape of an O.
- Repeat a couple of times
- Basic Wrist Stretches
- Sit down at a table
- Rest your elbow and arm on the table and allow your wrist to hang over the side, the palm of your hand facing up
- Begin with your hand in a straight, neutral position
- Bend your hand towards you so that your fingers point up towards the ceiling
- Hold it for 5 seconds
- Return to a straight and neutral position for your hand
- Bend your hand away from you so that your fingers point down towards the floor.
- Hold for 5 seconds
- Return to a straight, neutral position
- Repeat 10 times
- You can repeat this up to three times a day.
Contact Us Today
There are certain exercises that you can complete in order to assist with hand and wrist pain, as recommended by orthopedic hand specialist Celebration Orthopaedic & Sports Medicine Institute. If you’re looking for an orthopedic surgeon in the Celebration area, call Celebration Orthopaedic & Sports Medicine Institute today!